You can run z/PDT on a Linux VM in a free or cheap hypervisor (Like vmware
fusion or virtualbox) on a small Mac or PC giving it only 1 CP and ~3G ram if
you're the only one on it. Don't need to pay for SUSE or CENTos (both are
supported and free).

It works pretty well in this config if all you're doing is development. Java
requires a little more horsepower but is still doable with cheap commodity
hardware.

Chad