From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 11:52 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Installation Improvements (was Re: Links to IBM announcements for
today appear to be broken)

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

> 'Personal use' z/OS has been a recurring theme at SHARE for some time.
> IBM is loath to attach words like 'free' or 'personal' to anything in
> the mainframe world. What's been made available for individuals is
> still too costly for hobby/tinkerer use, especially compare with other
> platforms. ;-(

​IMO, FWIW (other acronyms​ omitted) I would love something like z/PDT for a
home user. The "problem" that I perceive that IBM has with such a thing can be
summed up as "somebody could use that to make money developing software and I
won't get a fair cut." IOW, IBM doesn't think that a "personal copy" would only
be for learning purposes, but would be "perverted" to actually make money.