Lots of questions ...

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Bill Woodger
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:08 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CEEDUMP possible following 'new' failure

> Do you need to reacquire the storage, or does the LE dump routine hang around
> for the second-time-through?

My logic is such that I terminate (neatly, with CSA and exit cleanup) at that
point so I never have a second time through. One would have to experiment.

> Would it be possible to load the LE dump routine instead of doing the initial
> GETMAIN? And your own routine?

That occurred to me but I did not try it. That would potentially be a better
solution because one would not be guessing at the amount of storage required.
I'm a commercial product developer, not a z/OS researcher (<g>) and so "works
perfectly" is good enough for me. Also, this is just an interim solution until
Mr. R beats the LE people into putting their stuff into LPA. There is no "my
routine" -- my recovery code is all resident in the main load module.

> Do you have issues with something else looking for storage while you are
> processing the first one?

Nope. There quite intentionally are no new's, GETMAINs or malloc()'s in the
recovery code. And very quickly it starts doing delete's like there was no
tomorrow (which there isn't, at least not for that instance).

> Is the dump output in the dataset where the four blank lines were, and are
> they still there, or perhaps some "artefact" of failure?

I did not think to look explicitly for the four blank lines but the dump looked
"perfect" at first glance. It has the traceback which is the main thing I was
interested in. Perhaps the four blank lines are "between sections." Before, the
sections were missing so the blank lines looked out of place. Now the sections
are there, so the blank lines look appropriate.