So the answers are

  It depends on what you want to do
   Your milage May Vary (YMMV)

If you want to access the datasets from either Plex easily, a Shared Master is
okay.  Remember the master cat should only have Aliases to usercats, and SYS1
datasets for that environment.  If you want SYS1.LINKLIB that is different from
both Plexes, then you probably want separate MCats.

If both plexes can "share" the common datasets, then you can get by with one
MCAT.

Or the Mcat on PLEX has the Mcat on Plex b as a user cat and vise versa.

So what is the intent of your configuration?

Separate but equal?  Or are they running from a common SYSRES Set?  Other???

Lizette