On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 21:44:19 +0000, Nims,Alva John (Al) wrote:

>I would put forth one big reason for not sharing the master catalog,
>would be system upgrades, when we went through the z/OS upgrades,
>there were times where SYS1. Level data sets location changed from
>one release to the next and the catalog needed to point to the new
>location for the new release.

You can use system symbols for this. Define a symbol to represent the
volser of every data set that was on volume X that is now on volume Y.
Recatalog those data sets using the new symbol. When you IPL the new
system, you will define the symbol to have a value of Y.

When all the systems have been upgraded and you won't be going back,
recatalog those data sets normally.

Is it a better solution? YMMV. It worked for me way back in the days
when we had multi-volume SYSRES sets and had to move things. Is
anyone still using multi-volume sysres?

>System Symbols are your friend when setting up the catalog, for both
>data set names and VOLSER.

Yes, they are.

--
Tom Marchant