Answered in sequence...

On 12/05/16 7:58 PM, Tony Harminc wrote:
On 5 December 2016 at 18:32, Susan Shumway <chale...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

I don't know about scripted access to KC search, but I can offer up some
Google search tricks for those of you that prefer that method over the
(still improving) KC search function. These are from a NaSPA deck I helped
present early last year...

Um, these all seem to be KC search tricks - not Google ones. Not that they
aren't useful - they are. Though I wish search providers could get their
acts together wrt syntax.

They're Google searches that, 99.9% of the time and as designed, land you in KC.

Each book in the z/OS library is assigned a unique identifier, which is
included in its URL. For example, book identifier e0zm100 corresponds to
z/OS Migration. You can use the inurl search operator and the book's
identifier to narrow the search results to a specific book. (The list of
book identifiers is included in the presentation but is WAY too long to
include here. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if it's still
online anywhere.)
Example: "dynamic vipa" | dvipa intitle:introduction | intitle:overview
inurl:halz002

I don't know anyone who thinks of the books in terms of this kind of "book
identifier". In fact I'm not sure I've even heard that term before. I think
of the identifiers like halz002 as a file name, but to me this book is
SC27-3650. Actually, I realize now that I really don't know what halz002
is. I was thinking of the file names when I install the books locally, but
this book's name in that context is f1a2b300. So I think we already have
identifiers enough to go around...

Yes, I agree. This "book identifier" is gorpy and something for which you need that list I mentioned. (I just found it still online in the presentation we did for ECCC 2015: https://ecc.marist.edu/documents/375276/0/Burns-JohnsonKC_Hint_and_Tips_Final2.pdf) It's the most foolproof way to search only a single book from Google, though. Otherwise, there's no reason for you to think about it.

  - Finds topics in the "z/OS Communications Server: IP Configuration
Guide" book that contain the phrase dynamic VIPA OR the word DVIPA anywhere
in the text AND that contain the word introduction or the word overview in
the title.
Tip: Book identifiers are also helpful during basic searching. If you
hover over a topic title link in the search results, the displayed URL will
contain the identifier of the containing book.

Susan, perhaps you could explain the relationship of these three
identifiers for the same book? (I realize that SC27-3650 needs a dash
number to be complete, and the other two may include the version. But
still, why three?)

As I mentioned above, don't worry about the book identifier unless you want to use it to search individual books in Google. For that purpose, it's very powerful - just keep the list of identifiers handy. The background is that it's simply the (perhaps originally randomly assigned) name for the directory that contains a book's source code. When a book's KC plug-in is generated, its path includes that value. Since it's in the path, it's a perfect excuse to use inurl.

The PDF file name is another potentially originally randomly assigned value. It usually somewhat relates to the book identifier (source directory name), but sometimes not, and it's never exactly the same. We're hoping to make them much more similar in the future, though that shouldn't matter too much to you guys. Note that the PDF file name applies only to the PDFs... it doesn't matter in the KC space at all.

The form number is assigned for the use of the IBM Publications Center. The first two parts remain static throughout a z/OS version and the third part (the dash level) changes for every release and update. The form number also applies to only PDFs and doesn't matter in KC. If you search a form number in Google, though, you'll typically land somewhere near a link to the correct PDF.

FWIW, check out this outdated (circa V2R1) but still somewhat handy tool for matching book titles, PDF file names, and form numbers: http://www.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/library/bkserv/find_books.html (there's a link to it right from the z/OS Internet Library page: http://www.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/library/bkserv/).

And a little glitch while I'm looking at halz002: I'm on the page with URL
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.halz002/toc.htm
and I see the TOC for the IP Configuration Guide. Towards the upper left
there is a little pulldown with choices "Version 2.1.0" and "Version
2.2.0". If I click the 2.2.0 choice, I get sent to URL
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.halz001/toc.htm
which is for a different book (the Config Reference). Surely these aren't
kept up to date by hand...?

Wow, that's one I haven't seen before! There are many versioning issues that we've been ironing out, and I'll add this one to the list if it's not there already. Likely it will get resolved when we implement a more global fix. Thanks for pointing it out.

-Sue Shumway

Thanks...

Tony H.

Sue Shumway