Is the data going to be stored in a standalone file? If so and the storage
filesystem is NTFS, have them turn on NTFS file and folder compression for that
folder or just the datasets. It is built in to Windows and will transparently
compress the whole dataset and not just blank space fields. If it is
linux/unix, there are few filesystems that support file compression as well.

Is the data going to be stored in a database - mariadb/mysql, DB2, etc. ? Many
database products have data compression that can be used and is transparent to
application and will be a better choice.