John,

Tell them that their cobol routine will probably run around 11 times longer
than the current assembler routine.

Our programmers used to use a cobol to read in a file, for ebcdic to ascii
translation, and then this subprogram would be called for each record to
convert from ebcdic to ascii.  The job steps calling that routine spent over
90% of their cpu time in that subprogram.

I re-wrote into hlasm, and eliminated at least 80-90% of the cpu time, just due
to the efficiencies that the assembler code management of the data in a table,
have vs cobol.

Of course, if they don't care about performance, that's their choice, however,
they should use the routines supplied by microfocus as those will most likely
be written in a higher performing language than cobol is in the type of data
manipulation that your hlasm routine is using.

BTW, how much space are your SAN people complaining about?

Peter