NTAC:3NS-20
We had a situation with a bad cable that resulted in a huge performance impact
due to the default way that z/OS (we are at 1.13) handles error recovery on
Ficon paths.
The symptoms were many (thousands) of IOS050I messages in the task's joblog,
followed by an IOS450E message, which took the path offline to a single device.
This was happening for every device (around 3000) that the affected path was
attached to.
As soon as I saw the messages I configured the CHPID offline and the problem
stopped.
We have put in automation that will immediately configure a CHPID offline as
soon as a single IOS450E message is detected, and now I am experimenting with
RECOVERY options.
IBM recommended to set RECOVERY,PATH_SCOPE=CU, set the PATH_INTERVAL to 1 and
leave PATH_THRESHOLD=10, and adjust from there.

Due to the paperwork involved with making any change in our environment, I
would like to implement this with a minimum of 'adjustment'.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
We are running on z13s, 16G Ficon through Brokade switches to IBM DS88xx DASD.

Thanks,
Jim