On 2017-01-05, at 14:47, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

> If a JES2 output segment is created with 'VS' attributes, that does not mean
> that the data on spool actually consists of spanned records. The point of
> spanning is to manage records that can exceed physical block size, e.g.
> 32760. SMF can potentially do that because so many records can have unlimited
> segments. What does physical block size even mean to JES?

However, the venerable access methods rely on halfword descriptors
both in the data and in control blocks.  So if the spool is to be
compatible with those access methods it must support their RECFMs,
even including VBS.

It's a pity.  VBS should have been the only RECFM anyone ever needed,
thus the only one ever defined and supported.  Everything could have
been the same.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser:  I allocated a couple data sets each
with JCL and BPXWDYN.  Then, with EXECIO I wrote one record to one
member of each pair.  Magically, LRECL shrank to 32756.  I may have
discussed this behavior long ago in one of these fora.  I don't
remember the explanation, if any.

 DSLIST - Data Sets Matching User.TEMP.V*                            Row 1 of 4
 Command ===>                                                  Scroll ===> CSR
 Command - Enter "/" to select action                 Dsorg  Recfm  Lrecl  Blksz
          User.TEMP.VBSDYN                                   VBS    32760      0
          User.TEMP.VBSDYNW                            PS    VBS    32756  27998
          User.TEMP.VBSJCL                                   VBS    32761      0
          User.TEMP.VBSJCLW                            PS    VBS    32756  27998

--gil