The S in FS is the same "standard" as the S in FBS.

With an F which has been MODded there will, mostly, be an unfilled track (last
record on from the previous output, empty remainder of track unless the record
happens to be the last one which would fit on a track).

FS guarantees (by the person who coded it) that there is no partial track
within the file/data set, so that a record can be read directly through the
calculation of its position. As far as I know, it is simply that guarantee that
is the difference, so it can be acted upon. S meaning "this data set has not
been MODded, and if it has, it is my fault that something goes to pot at times".

As far as I know, the S in FS and FBS are not mandatory when writing, and
everything works when it is specified for the data set used as input.

Although the "S" is a "performance thing", it is only so for "seek-type" usage
(I'm sure there is a "calculate my physical record's location" Assemble macro).
It otherwise makes no difference.

I think SAS has some stipulations about FBS for its libraries, or some of them.