For the education of the newbies, I'm going to take paper tape back to the '60s. I was in the Air Force from 1960-1964 as an electronics technician maintaining cryptographic equipment, some of which was used with teletype equipment. Teletypes used a 5-bit code called Baudot code. For those of you who have heard the term baud before, it represented a single character in the Baudot code. There was a specific code that shifted between letters and numbers/figures modes, so that there could be more than 32 values represented.

Messages could be punched onto a paper tape from a keyboard and then later transmitted through a tape reader into a communications link. Or, on the receiving end, a message could either be printed by a teletype or punched into a paper tape for further transmission or later printing. The technology was eventually used with early computers, as you are hearing here.

Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corporation