I remember using paper tape in high school in the mid-70's.  Punch cards in
college and my first job.  I joined the army in 1981.  I was eventually
assigned to a signal unit in 1984 and lo and behold I had paper tape again in
our radio teletype vans.  We transcribed the messages onto the tape and then
powered up the hf radio for a relatively shorter transmission window.  This was
during the cold war and the theory was that if you were on air for much longer
than 30 seconds at a time our friends on the other side of the iron curtain
could triangulate your position and pretty much ruin your day.

"The power of accurate observation is often mistaken for cynicism by those who
have not got it."  -- George Bernard Shaw