Anyone ever play with fanfold paper tape?

I did, between school and university. I guess you'd call it a gap year job,
nowadays. :-)

Anyhow, lots of fun to be had with diskette box lids being used to catch
the paper tape as it passed through the reader. If it missed the box the
stuff arced across the room.

We used it to take compiled object code produced by a Data General Nova /
Eclipse dualed pair and load it into one of the Membrain automatic tester
rigs. (I got myself a job as a programmer for Membrain in Ferndown,
Dorset.)

Happy times

Sent from my iPad

<david.w.n...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:21:58 -0600, Tom Marchant
>> (0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu) wrote about "Paper tape
>> (was Re: Hidden Figures)"
>
>>> Well into the 1970's almost every mainframe shop used paper tape.
>>>
>>> What was it used for?
>>
>> In the mid 1970s I was working for a multi-national chemical company in
>> Melbourne, Australia. We had 2 paper tape readers and 1 paper tape
>> punch. They were used mostly for threatening young programmers who spoke
>> derisively about punched cards. ... :-)
>
> I was thinking of something far more ubiquitous. Every shop used them.
>
> --
> Tom Marchant

>Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.