An update on this for those using CentOS or RHEL.   Got it working just fine
tonight.

The problem exists in the update of glibc to           157.el7_3.1
The last version that I can make work (of glibc) is  106.el7_2.6

The 106 version of glibc is in the 1511 minor release of CentOS 7.2.

You’ll likely have to enable that repo and downgrade glibc and a couple other
glibc packages (e.g. i had to do glibc, glibc-common, glibc-devel,
glibc-headers)
Good news is nothing else (at least on my systems) had to be uninstalled or
reverted - those packages (both the i686 & x64 versions) were able to be
downgraded
without taking anything else along - and i was able to update the rest of the
system to 7.3.1611 - which is the latest release of Cent.

I wrote a script with the relevant yum commands I’d share - if anyone wants it,
let me know.

If anyone is having this issue with SUSE and wants me to poke at it, I’d be
happy to look at that also, let me know.

Regards,

Chad