I disagree with your assessment of the "way it is" for sites.

It's an unnecessary change which was forced on us because of an error due to a
request from a single user.  It's not like the HMC is in and of itself an SMTP
server.  THe HMC doesn't have the capability to be an SMTP server.  It's using
the services of and "existing" SMTP server, and therefor should be adaptable to
that existing environemnt, not force an additional change to support the HMC.

I don't think in this case that it's a really big deal, but having it come as a
surprise after a HMC update was not reasonable.  That said, I'm willing to make
accommodations for it but that doesn't mean in any way that I agree that it was
okay of IBM to require this change based on the request of a single (or even a
small or large number) of clients.  Had they provided the "option" of doing it
the old way or the new way, then it would have been reasonable.  To force a
site to change without warning was not acceptable.

Brian