Not sure if QSAM overlaps any I/O or not.  You would think so, but TFM has
little to say about it that I found so far.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 5:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: BSAM vs QSAM

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:42:24 -0500, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>OTOH you don't have to wait for completion of a READ or a WRITE.  You can
>issue a WRITE at the end of a processing loop and then go back to process the
>next record while the WRITE completes, and only CHECK the WRITE when you are
>ready to issue the next WRITE.
>
>Similarly for READ's, issue another READ right after the start of processing
>for the prior record, then CHECK the second READ when you come back to the top
>of the processing loop.

Does QSAM not overlap I/O with processing?  I had expected that on the first
GET QSAM would issue BUFNO READs; CHECK the first and return the record for
processing while the remaining BUFNO-1 READs proceeded.

Another concern if you need to support BPAM is that BPAM and BSAM can share
more code than BPAM and QSAM.

attachments from your system.