From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2017 12:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: DB2 Locks and WLM Blocked Workload Support?

Cross-posted from DB2-L

DB2 is not my strength, so please bear with me.

I understand that DB2 serializes access to its resources with various types of
locks. For access to data, some of them are row locks, page locks, tablespace
locks.

WLM's "blocked workload support" can help to reduce resource contention by
giving low priority, resource holding work a CPU burst, so it may release the
resource it held.

In the context of DB2, the doc talks about "DB2 latches" with which WLM may be
able to help.

Some (vague) questions. High level answers are sufficient.

- Are the "DB2 latches" implemented as GRS latches?

- Are row, page, tables space locks actually DB2 latches? In other words, would
WLM be able to recognize a low priority job holding some DB2 locks is causeing
delay so it can promote it?

- What have IRLM and its lock structures to do with GRS latsches, if anything?

- Does DB2 inform WLM about resource lockers, so WLM can possibly promote them?

Pointer to some documentation if I can answer myself by RTFM is appreciated.

--
Peter Hunkeler