> CMS is indeed an operating system.  Early on it used to be able to run
independently of z/VM, but that is no longer true.

I'm quite familiar architecturally with CMS. Yes, it is in one sense an
operating system. If I drew a picture of z/VM with a bunch of guests, CMS
would be a peer to VSE, z/OS and Linux, all of which are no-doubt-about-it
operating systems. So yes, it must be an OS. It's a funny beast of an OS: a
single-user operating system for a mainframe! OTOH, the way people use it it
is more like a single TSO session than an operating system. It is more of a
single-user terminal session than an OS. And yes, it no longer can be IPLed
on the hardware, so a purist might say that disqualifies it as an operating
system right there. What kind of operating system requires an operating
system in order to run?

Would not the proper phrase be "run independently of CP"? CMS is a component
of z/VM; it can't be independent of z/VM, it *is* z/VM.

Charles