Greg,

Occasionally I have to test something using a COBOL program.
This is what I have in my JCL to obtain a SYSMDUMP and I seem to get one every
time I need one.

//ABNLIGNR DD DUMMY   DO NOT TAKE ABEND-AID DUMP
//CAOESTOP DD DUMMY    /* BYPASS CA-SYMDUMP */
//SYSABEND DD DUMMY
//SYSUDUMP DD DUMMY
//CEEDUMP  DD DUMMY
//CEEOPTS  DD *
TRAP(OFF,NOSPIE)
RPTSTG(ON)
RPTOPTS(ON)
//SYSMDUMP DD DISP=SHR,DSN=S01CH.ASSEMTST.SYSMDUMP

In fact, many times I want to see the results of the program I am testing and I
define a field like this:

05  make-a-dump.
    10  dump-maker   pic 9(05) usage display.

Then I code:
Move spaces to make-a-dump.
Add 1 to dump-maker.

I don't know if this will help, but it works for me.

Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee
Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
EAS Information Technology

Thermo Fisher Scientific
300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230
chuck.har...@thermofisher.com  | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to
the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please inform the sender and delete all copies.