On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 20:18:25 +0000, David W Noon wrote:
>Indeed, you have two character strings with a comment separating them,
>then implicitly concatenated. Neither string contains a comment.
>
>More than that, you are processing source code here, not data. The REXX
>language defines comment delimiters and the language parser takes the
>appropriate action.
>
>In contrast the PARM string, whether coded as PARM or built from PARMDD,
>is almost invariably data. There is no comment delimiter defined for
>general data, as a data stream can contain anything in the most general
>case.

This thread began with a discussion of the PARM string.  I'd like to think of
JCL
as source code, not as data.  And I definitely think of JCL as sorely deficient
in string manipulation operations.  It was developed a half-century ago,
subject to severe resource constraints.

As Greg Dyck suggests, there's little hope of finding the resource to bring JCL
up to contemporary expectations.
    http://dilbert.com/strip/2017-02-22

-- gil