From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: curious: why S/360 & decendants are "big endian".

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Tom Marchant <
0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:33:31 -0700, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>
> >It probably save hardware to decrement as well as increment in
> >accessing storage.  Consider that CLC goes left-to-right but AP goes
> >right-to-left.
>
> AP goes right to left because it would otherwise have to do more work
> to propagate carry.

​Right. But it could go to the left if the nybbles in the packed decimal number
were in reverse order, with the sign nybble being the first
(leftmost) nybble in the data stream. I.e. instead of 01234F be F43210 .
But that was likely not acceptable because one reason that programmers love
packed rather than binary is that they can read it directly in the hex dump.
Said dump being far more prevalent tool for debugging in the far past. Some
decisions are not really hardware dictated. They're cultural.

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient.
It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown