From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframe JOBS in Austin

Interesting you say that you have seen W@H abused.  I have not seen that at all
here; quite the contrary -- the employer gets a great deal more of our
development time than we're actually bound to do, just because it is so
productive a way to work and so easy to do "just one more round of tests, I've
almost got it . . .".

I will say that there are still managers (even not so senior ones) who are so
afraid of slacking that they limit W@H opportunities even for programmers.  I
think it depends on your own personal attitude - if you think you would slack
at home (or do slack) then you think everyone else will do it too.  For myself,
I am so grateful for the opportunity for W@H that I make *darn* sure not to
screw it up for me or for anyone else on my team.

But to play devil's advocate a little, I imagine that managers who are dealing
with really remote workers in other countries and cultures and time zones
complicates the issue too.

To Mike B:

I thought that the "no more work at home for anyone" was Yahoo, wasn't it?
ISTR the IBM mandate was for marketing department types, not programmers, but I
could be wrong about that (memory is a slippery thing).

Peter