Sad but true.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Bill Woodger
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ComputerWorld Says: Cobol plays major role in U.S. government
breaches

My gosh, ho-hum, what a bag of nonsense passing itself off as a contribution to
research.

And then there's the journalism.

Tom Marchant phrased it eloque... well, bluntly. The researchers who wrote the
paper, dated March 7, 2017, used a media article to come up with "It's COBOL
wot dun it" for OPM, whereas the report "The OPM Data Breach:  How the
Government Jeopardized Our National Security for More than a Generation" by the
Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, published September 7, 2016,
doesn't even mention COBOL. Journalists (I'm assuming there are more articles,
it's "easy" journalism) quote the report, quoting them. Self-referential,
self-defining. Just meaningless.

The report on the OPM breach doesn't even go as far as to say that access was
gained to a Mainframe (in terms of a hack). What is clear is that the hackers
(at least two) spent years, yes, years, wandering about various Windows servers
belonging to OPM. They exfiltrated (my word of the day) documents relating to
the Mainframe system. Mmm.... Powerpoint, Visio, XLSX, etc... Enough on OPM.

Now, Research is closely related to Brain Science and Rocket Surgery. If you
can do it, you're really cool, and will be recognised above the mundane who
only have to deal with known facts.

However, Bad Research is related to what? Bad Journalism? Great.

Take "security by antiquity". Anyone ever heard of that? I put that into a
search box along with the word computer and got 438 results. I put "security by
obscurity", a term that I've heard of, and which includes being unaware of the
enormous amount of documentation IBM provides publicly, and computer into the
same search box and got 38,000 hits (38,417.83 in Research Terms).

So, build a Straw Man, then set fire to him, to general applause.

Take "legacy system". If you are writing for someone else, and you use jargon,
or terminology, or concepts which are not clearly defined and accepted, then
you define, exactly, how you use those terms. Because otherwise the use is
meaningless.

Obviously "legacy" means Mainframe/COBOL. Except they talk of migrating
"legacy" to the Cloud. So obviously they don't mean Mainframe/COBOL. Or,
perhaps more accurately, they have a version of Lewis Carol's Humpty Dumpty:
"any word or phrase means exactly what I mean it to mean at that moment, even
if contradicted shortly thereafter, and contradicted further several times
later".

In Bad Research, look for figures with pin-point accuracy: "increased by 1,121
percent". Increased by what? What does that final one percent mean? Or even the
final 20%?

Let me define "information about computers ages very quickly" to mean "in
situations where the fundamentals of what you are talking about change very
rapidly, discussion that is five years old may be useless". Let me be generous
and extend that to 10 years, else the main publication they refer to, from
2009, is outside the range. Let's say every computer-related paper they
reference which is older than 10 years would have to be seriously question for
its use in this context. Whoops. That puts a lot of stuff under question.

Surely "criminal behaviour" doesn't change so fast? Oooh. Economic criminal
behaviour. Relating to hacking. How much does it cost these days to get a
domain, a laptop and some harddisks/sticks? So that has changed, as rapidly.

Oooh. Another problem. The whole OPM thing is supposed to be done by either
"hacking groups" who just don't like government/business and material
consequences are perhaps an aside, or "hacking groups" specifically backed by a
certain foreign government. Neither of these fit into ordinary "criminal"
analysis, and no case is made in the research for why anything should fit into
the criminal analysis. So scratch all that junk.

Table 4. I can't make head of tail of it, but, at least Table 2 defines
indicents. Of the eight categories, four are nothing to do with "cyber
criminals": Improper Usage; Unauthorized Equipment; Policy Violation; Non-Cyber
Incidents. Taking out all those does what for 1,121 percent?

If the paper were coherent and internally consistent, I'd go on. But it isn't,
so I won't.