From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:15 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: thoughts on z/OS ftp server enhancement.

I am wondering if anyone else thinks the following might be a nice enhancement
to the z/OS FTP server. At present, when you transfer a file to/from another
system, you can basically only do a BIN (null) or ASCII transformation. We have
been doing a lot of ftp's to a Windows server, so we really need an ASCII
transformation. The problem is that our real data, in a VSAM data set, has
PACKED DECIMAL and 32 bit internal binary numbers and not just character data.
So, I was thinking that it might be nice to have a FTP server command which
would set up a "global" data transformation program as in intermediary. That
is, the client (on Windows) would do something like:

quote outxform somepgm
get vsam.dataset

And what the FTP server would do is invoke "somepgm" with a parameter of
"vsam.dataset". The "somepgm" would allocate & open the given data set. It
would then read the data; transform it; then return the transformed
record(s) to ftp. This would be conceptually similar to what COBOL and SORT do
when the SORT verb in a program has the USING INPUT PROCEDURE phrase.
Perhaps the parameters to "somepgm" would be a character string and the address
of a "subroutine" to call to return a record back to the ftp server.

Or maybe something similar to how ftp can do an SQL query, but more generic:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.halu001/db2sqlquerysubmitftps.htm