It seems, that 64bit architecture is going through the same growing pains
we saw with earlier versions of OS/VS2 , MVS/ESA , etc.
This isn't necessary bad, in fact it's a good thing, since executing in
64bit mode, doing I/O would benefit many customers, I feel.

Scott

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:48 AM Ed Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
wrote:

> On 3/29/2017 2:27 AM, Martin Packer wrote:
>
> > As I understand it the real restriction is not being interruptible (for
>
> > I/O). In which case a clever (and aren't they all nowadays?) :-) JVM
> might
>
> > well find itself executing machine code that you'd hope wouldn't have to
>
> > be copied below the bar first.
>

> Actually, that's not a restriction at all. z/OS fully supports executing
>
> enabled code running above the bar.
>

> What's missing is binder/loader/contents support to load/manage
>
> executable RMODE(64) modules and enough officially-supported SVC and
>
> PC-entered z/OS services to make running programs there feasible. After
>
> that, you would need compiler and HLL run-time language support from LE
>
> to open that "world" up to everyone...
>

> --
>
> Edward E Jaffe
>
> Phoenix Software International, Inc