From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Allan Staller
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 10:33 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: RLS for catalogs

GRS ring or GRS star?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joe Owens
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 11:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: RLS for catalogs

We are experiencing general issues with catalog contention, seeing a lot of
SYSIGGV2 enqueue waits. We have shared DASD between multiple LPARS in a sysplex

I was wondering if anyone had experience of using RLS for catalogs, as
introduced with with Z/OS 2.1?

In particular, anyone using this with MIM. MIM has to be initialised before RLS
can start (several references to this in APARS). We use RLS with endevor VSAM
datasets, and this is not an issue, but as catalog access is so basic to the
system, I am thinking we might have to initialise MIM before JES (and have it's
parmlib in the master catalog), to avoid a chicken and egg situation.

Just wondering if anyone else has considered this.

Regards,

Joe Owens