On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 11:35:47 -0500, Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 15:56:29 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
>wrote:
>
>>This goes back several years when CF and memory resources were more expensive
>>and less flexible than today. Think standalone CF where a memory >upgrade was
>>a huge PITA. We had one single-system parallel sysplex that I had refrained
>>from turning over to GRS star. It was only one system, after all, so >what
>>could be harm in running GRS ring? Star would be a waste of resources, I
>>thought.
>>
>>One particular housekeeping job ran daily in every sysplex. It did a massive
>>LISTCAT. We noticed that this job ran two or three times longer (!) on this
>>one >system as compared with other sysplexes that made use of GRS star. I
>>could not find any plausible difference other than GRS configuration. So on a
>>hunch I >bit the bullet and implemented GRS star. Sure enough, the elapsed
>>time for the big LISTCAT job immediately dropped to a value in line with the
>>other >sysplexes. That's on a system that did not actually share resources
>>with any other. Not a scientific observation, but I'm as convinced as any UFO
>>witness ever >was.
>
>Wow!  I believe you, but I'd love to hear the technical explanation for that
>from an IBM
>GRS and/or sysplex guru considering it was a single system.   I can only guess
>that
>it was just a different code path taken that was more efficient and it didn't
>have
>anything to do with delays in propagating ENQs.  Or maybe there were reserves
>involved that went away with GRS STAR, but I wouldn't think so with just a
>LISTCAT.
>
>Going back to the "old days" if you really had a single system you didn't want
>gen the DASD as shared and that would avoid RESERVEs from being issued.
>
>I'm feeling old now...  :-)

I just ran a test in a sandbox MIM (MII) environment (2 system sysplex) and
LISTCAT ALL does does cause the CATALOG address space to do reserves on
QNAME=SYSZVVDS  RNAME=volser for the volumes that have cataloged
data sets.  Makes complete sense now that I think about it, because how else
could LISTCAT get VVR and NVR data for the LISTCAT.

So going to GRS STAR and converting SYSZVVDS to a global ENQ would
explain how much faster the LISTCAT job ran - even on a single system
assuming the DASD is gen'd as shared.    Mystery solved.  :-)

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:m...@mzelden.com