Taken from the Technical Manual for PRECIS :-

---
Timely access to detailed climate change scenarios is particularly vital in developing countries, where economic stresses are likely to increase vulnerability to potentially damaging impacts of climate change. In order to help address this need the Met Office Hadley Centre has developed PRECIS, a regional climate modelling system which can be run on a personal computer (PC). The aim of PRECIS (Providing Regional Climates for Impacts Studies) is to allow developing countries, or groups of developing countries, to generate their own national scenarios of climate change for use in impacts studies. This will allow transfers of technology and ownership resulting in much more timely and effective dissemination of expertise and awareness than if results are simply handed out from climate model experiments run in developed countries. In addition, countries using PRECIS are in a better position to validate the model using their ownhistorical meteorological observations
----

It then goes on to discus installation having pre-installed Linux and Fortran (Intel).

For more information see :-

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/4/m/tech_man_v2.pdf

In another mention for Linux we have this take from "MOSAC and SRG Meetings 2015" :-

---
Introduction:

At the time of MOSAC/SRG last year, we had just secured funding for a major investment in HPC and signed a contract with Cray. We outlined the plans for a staged implementation of the new supercomputer, and the broad shape of how we planned to exploit it scientifically. Huge amounts of work this year have gone in to the technical implementation, culminating in the successful operational transition from the IBM to Phase 1a of the Cray in August. This excellent progress – and further refinement of our science plans – means that we believe that we are well placed to exploit the major enhancements in capability that will come over the next 18 months.

Implementation

Phase 1a of the Cray (1088 Cray XC40 nodes, with Intel Haswell processors) provides, as expected, broadly like-for-like performance relative to the IBM which it replaced. Operational transition on August 25th was achieved comfortably ahead of the deadline of the end of the IBM contract. It is split across the two existing computer halls, and includes the collaborative MONSooN system (jointly funded by the Met Office and NERC) which has proved so valuable in enabling joint work with academia.

Timelines and expectations for Phases 1b and 1c remain as described last year. Phase 1b will expand the existing 1a systems (with Intel Broadwell processors) to give around a x6 uplift in compute capacity in March 2016. Phase 1c will follow a year behind, and take the total increase relative to the IBM to around x15. It will be located on Exeter Science Park (just across the motorway), and works on the new IT hall and collaborative space have commenced. In parallel we have been working on the required developments to the downstream systems, commensurate with the HPC enhancements. The mass archive is currently being upgraded, with a Phase 2 further upgrade planned for early 2017. By 2020 we envisage a more than 10-fold increase in the total size of the archive (currently 32 PB in each hall). In parallel, the Scientific Processing and Intensive Compute Environment (SPICE) project will deliver a replacement of the existing Enterprise Linux Server hardware and associated storage capabilities, and a radical change in middleware and toolsets that will enable science to perform more efficiently by making better use of available compute and storage resources. The intent is the provision of a highly capable and scalable compute installation which will enable a range of non-HPC scientific data processing, including capability for post processing of model outputs, research and development activities, collaborative work and routine administration including code building and the preparation of data for visualisation. Phases 1 and 2 are planned to be operational in March 2016 and March 2017 respectively, and their design has benefited significantly from close links to the NERC JASMIN facility.
---

All information taken from the Met Office website .

Vince