From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2017 6:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: Program software to make SMS calls

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:38 AM, James Wellingtin <jameswelling...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey
> Does anybody know of any software for mainframe Z/OS where you can
> send SMS messages to a mobile phone  and maybe make a predefined speak
> to a mobile phone.
>
> Or maybe specify a way to do it.
>

> It can be an open source code., or a plugin from a a payable software
> company Of course a free of charge would be preferable.
>
> You maybe already make use of it , and could specify in what way you
> used it and your experience with it.
>
> All kind of input would be appreciated.

​We do this all the time for text messages (not speech). It is basically easy
to do when you use an email-to-sms gateway. From a quick Google search on
"email sms gateway", I see:

Sending an email as an SMS
CarrierSMS gateway domain
Sprint [insert 10-digit number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com T-Mobile [insert
10-digit number]@tmomail.net U.S. Cellular [insert 10-digit
number]@email.uscc.net Verizon [insert 10-digit number]@vtext.com ​There are
also businesses which supply this function which the above search will also
bring up. We use XMITIP to send the email out via our MS
Exchange/365 server. The z/OS side just specifies the appropriate local MS
Exchange address (e.g. john.mckown.sms@<exchange.server>) which it converts to
aaa-bbb-cccc@<one of the gateways above>

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient.
It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown