On 4/11/2017 1:46 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
Part of the problem, I learned some time back at SHARE, is that there is no
mechanism to 'reclaim' page slots that no longer need to remain on disk. Once
storage gets paged out, it sits there like a sandbag until the owning task is
stopped. Contrast that with JES2 spool track reclaim, which constantly munches
through spool like Pacman and frees up unneeded space.

Many moons ago code was implemented in ASM and RSM to slowly reclaim ASM page slots for virtual pages that were changed in real storage. I have vague memories of this functionality later being disabled for some technical concern, but can't remember what it was.

Regards,
Greg