While they do not grow in in perfect lock step
The presence of Big ass memory comes with big ass dasd volumes
(these are the technical terms of course)
Do you know 3350's and 2314s were once used as paging devices?
For that matter do you no the number 2314 was chosen as the # for a model of
disk drive because it was 4 times larger than its asexual parent the 2311.

You may be aware that the reason for new addressing architecture like 32 and 64
bit with corresponding changes to memory mapping came as a result of addressing
older storage constraints.
Typically it was CICS, IMS and DB2 that were contained and the newer
architectures are designed to hold, you guessed it CICS, IMS, and DB2.

The size of spinning page datasets is related to the amount of virutual memory
in use.
Have you noticed that the use of the LPA dataset in any shop does not change
after IPL?
That is because LPA is built at IPL time and can even be skipped by not doing a
CLPA.
LPA does not require extra space for minute to minute operations because it
does not change.
It may need space if a software update is done.

You mention that you have a near zero paging rate.
With that near zero rate for locals those datasets can enjoy some of the same
allocation freedoms the LPA have.  If it is not going to grow one does not have
to add much for minute to minute growth.

Most old rules of thumb are based on a TSO environment with lots of swapable
address spaces.
This is not the case for large DBMS and TP monitors.

Avram Friedman