00000041d919e708-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Thomas Kern) writes:
> When I started working on contract to NASA at the Goddard Institute for
> Space Studies in NYC, June 1976, they ran Scientific Supervisory
> System/360 (SSS/360) on an IBM 360/95 and a copy under VM/370 R3 on an
> Amdahl 470/V6. SSS/360 was about 35,000 lines of Assembler code. Its
> purpose was to load a FORTRAN program into memory and then get out of
> its way. Running numerical weather prediction models, we were able to
> run for hours on end with almost no discernible Supervisor Time.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017d.html#75 Mainframe operating systems?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017d.html#76 Mainframe operating systems?

well then in the 80s, SLAC (& CERN) had "168E" ... bitslice 370 problem
state sufficient to run 370 fortran programs ... ... with minimum to
load program, acquire data, dump data.  lots along the accelerator for
initial data collection and reduction ... then upgraded to "3081E"
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-pub-3069.pdf
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-pub-3680.pdf
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-pub-3753.pdf