On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Porowski, Kenneth <ken.porow...@cit.com>
wrote:

> From a z/OS - Mainframe perspective
>
> You have the UNIX filesystem with various  types of files in it.
>
> You have the "classic" Mainframe datasets (sequential, PDS, VSAM, etc.)
>
> To differentiate the "classic" datasets from the UNIX filesystem/files
> what is the correct/preferred terminology for the "classic" datasets?
>
> MVS dataset
> MVS style dataset
> MVS type dataset
> z/OS dataset
> etc.
> something else?

​OK, I go a bit weird (as expected). "Dataset" is a z/OS legacy term that
applies to the entries in a VTOC and z/OS catalog. Note that I try (but
fail on occasion) to _NOT_ call datasets "files". Because UNIX data
containers are called "files".​ So, for me, I use the terms "legacy
dataset" or "UNIX file" respectively for these data containers. And, just
as a by-the-by, I consider a UNIX filesystem container to be a "legacy
dataset" because it is basically an VSAM LDS and so is in the z/OS catalog
and has an entry in the VTOC(s). Also, you can manage the filesystem
container using things such as HSM, ADRDSSU/FDR, and so on. Said programs
not being usable with individual UNIX files.

So, how can I confuse more?

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown