On 26 April 2017 at 12:35, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> It matters in documentation. If we were to document the FOO parameter as
> "specify the name of a file" that would leave you wondering what we meant,
> unless other context made it clear. We say "specify the name of an MVS
> dataset" or "specify the name of a zFS file" or some combination thereof.

While we're on this... I discourage people here from documenting things
like "specify the name of a zFS file". Who knows how long zFS will be
around? HFS seems to be effectively dead. Maybe in a couple of years a
great new QFS or something will be the UNIX file system du jour on z/OS.
One of our product's docs were full of "HFS" references from ten years ago,
but had nothing to do with defining a new HFS or the like; they just meant
UNIX file, as opposed to MVS dataset. So that's what we say now: "UNIX
file", or in the rare case it's possible to be confused with a file on
another UNIX system, "z/OS UNIX file".

Tony H.