On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:53:34 -0400, Kurt Quackenbush wrote:

>If only we in SMP/E had that kind of foresight (what, 20+ years ago?) we
>would not have used "HFS" as an element type.  Of course this goes
>beyond documentation, so I suspect we'll be stuck with ++HFS for the
>foreseeable future.

There are many cases in which an abbreviation is retained for computer
use after the term is deprecated otherwise.  I think of Sun's retaining
"yp*" utilities where "yp" originated as an abbreviation of a phrase that
Sun found was proscribed by trademark rights.

Stick with "HFS" and put a historical note in a glossary.

-- gil