On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:01:12 -0500, Walt Farrell wrote:

>First, zFS is but one kind of file system that can contain UNIX files. Before
>it we had HFS file systems, and we still (I think) have TFS file systems. They
>all contain UNIX files, or possibly z/OS UNIX files if you must.

But what happens when "z/OS" goes the way of "OS/390" and "MVS 5.2"?

>The potential confusion is that someone who doesn't already understand the
>difference between file and data set might easily wonder whether "zFS file" is
>supposed to mean the MVS data set that contains the zFS file system (which, in
>turn, contains the UNIX files).

But remember that "Using Data Sets", which should be the authority, accounts
UNIX files among varieties of data sets.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:22:50 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>    ... So that's what we say now: "UNIX
>file", or in the rare case it's possible to be confused with a file on
>another UNIX system, "z/OS UNIX file".

Is that intended to exclude NFS files (and possibly others) which
don't support zFS extended attributes?  (Don't know about TFS.)
What about sockets?  Can SVC 99 allocate a DDNAME to a socket?

-- gil