From: "Andrew Rowley" <and...@blackhillsoftware.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:13:03 PM
Subject: Re: JZOS Java CLASSPATH

On 28/04/2017 3:23 AM, Kirk Wolf wrote:
> And yet I fail to see why this is an issue since the JZOS sample JCL shows
> how to use the shell language to handle this - with more flexibility.
>
> For example, the "java" command launcher can't do this:
>
> for i in "${MYDIR}"/foo*.jar; do
> CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$i"
> done
I love JZOS, except for this shell script. I feel that a tailored shell
script in every Java batch job is a major obstacle, because as you say
"most Java users don't know their shell". Even more so for most z/OS users.

You are just setting the CLASSPATH environment variable, so yes you can
do the same thing using the java command in BPXBATCH if you need to
(apologies for naming my program ClassPath, which is slightly confusing):

//S1 EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,REGION=512M
//STDENV DD *
CLASSPATH=java/target
//STDPARM DD *
SH for i in java/lib/slf*.jar; do
CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$i";
done;
export CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH";
/usr/lpp/java/J8.0/bin/java ClassPath
//STDOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//STDERR DD SYSOUT=*

Output:
java/target:java/lib/slf4j-api-1.7.21.jar:java/lib/slf4j-simple-1.7.21.jar
/home/andrewr/java/target/
/home/andrewr/java/lib/slf4j-api-1.7.21.jar
/home/andrewr/java/lib/slf4j-simple-1.7.21.jar

It's the handling of the CLASSPATH environment variable that's the issue.

I have been playing around with PROCs to try to simplify things so you
can use more traditional JCL for JZOS jobs (hence my other questions
about JCL substitutions in instream data).
e.g.

//JAVA EXEC PROC=JAVA8G,
// JAVACLS='''MyProgram''',
// APPHOME='''java/target''',
// CLASPATH='''java/lib/*:java/easysmf-je-1-5-2/jar/*'''
//INPUT DD DISP=SHR,...

It is difficult to handle the classpath like this if you need to allow
multiple entries and support any sort of wildcard. It would be much
easier if it followed the same rules as the java command.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software