On 28/04/2017 12:16 PM, Andrew Rowley wrote:
On 28/04/2017 1:28 PM, David Crayford wrote:
I agree that it would be ideal if the JZOS batch launcher was modernized to support wildcards but disagree about the shell. I find it's absolutely necessary just to do stuff like:

. /etc/profile       # set TZ variable and other stuff

Whether there should be a system wide TZ variable is another discussion :-) I'm not sure there should be anything else in /etc/profile that is required for every java batch job.

Imagine if you had to go and update all your Java batch jobs to set the TZ environment variable every time the clocks changed! Yikes! /etc/profile usually has other useful settings like LOCALE, LANG etc.

It's also unfortunate that the DD is called STDENV but is doesn't follow the same conventions as BPXBATCH STDENV (I'm not sure which came first).

I have no argument with the facility to run a shell script, it's just the *requirement* for a script, and mainly the need to customize it for CLASSPATH that I object to. Java classpath can hard enough to figure out without dealing with shell script for-do-done loops and the syntax complexities of shell variables, braces, quotes, wildcard expansion etc.

I don't have a problem with it. It works well for me and while I agree I would like to see it modernized it's good to go but I'a a UNIX guy who is comfortable with shell programming.

I suspect it deters a lot of people from using Java on z/OS: they find that script and think "Hmmm, maybe I'll try Rexx first".

If I'm considering Java then it's certainly not for a solution that REXX can handle. REXX is good for very simple scripts but doesn't scale either for large programs or complex use cases. For most of my stuff I would just use C++ but I reach out for Java when I need a library that I don't have in C++, and that's quite often ;) Like it or loathe it Java in out on it's own WRT the huge amount of open source libraries to do useful stuff. And they are usually of a very high quality. I've been working on a z/OS web application using a servlet container with JAX-RS/Jackson and Java has proven it's worth. It's pretty snappy too once the JIT has warmed up.

What would be ideal: STDENV DD to set environment variables in exactly the same way as BPXBATCH, and maybe something like SCRIPT DD for an optional initialization script.