Leonard:

I don't have access to the system any more where I did this, but based on the retained documents of the time, I gathered SMF type 119 records from TCP/IP. Subtype 7 records contain all data relating to FTP file transfers. They give the file name, origin IP address, time stamp (date is relative and not in the record), receptor IP address, and file size. Filtering on these, I was able to find info on all files FTPed into or out of the z/OS box. You should be able to use this by sorting by file name to discover your over-writes. If I recall, it didn't matter whether the file was a USS or MVS file.

As I recall, I did have to turn on SMF record creation in TCP/IP, which were not being generated by default.

Mike Myers
Vice President
z/OS consultant
Mentor Services Corporation