In the meantime I have written a simple standalone Cobol test program to
experiment with.

First runs did show the 00A program checks in the system trace, but not the
time and CPU consuming snapshot of the system trace tables. So, while the 00As
did cost some time in this case, I would not consider it painful.

I wondered why? What was different to our standard environment?

The difference to my simple test case is that it does *not* run under
Smart/Restart (S/R). So, what negative impact could Smart/Restart have? ... and
then I remembered that S/R is resetting Language Environment's ESPIE exit, so
program runs *without* any ESPIE.

Next test case was to run my simple program with LE option TRAP(ON,NOSPIE) to
simulate the environment of our standard job. The program ran minutes instead
of a few second. And I did see the system trace snapshots being take in the
system trace.

So, it seems the 00A program check do not hurt too much by themselves, but they
need to be handled by an ESPIE exit recognizing it is Cobol, and therefore ok.

--Peter Hunkeler