On Wed, 17 May 2017 14:59:28 +0200, Peter Hunkeler wrote:

>>I don't believe that this has anything to do with DFP.
>>The decimal overflow exception that Peter reports occurs with Packed
>>Decimal operations, not with Decimal Floating-point operations.
>
>Have a look at the DFP instructions. Some such as CZDT, and CZXT (Convert To
>Zoned)
>can indeed raise a decimal overflow exception. There probably are more.

Yes, the Convert to Packed (CPDT and CPXT) and Convert to Zoned (CZDT and
CZXT) instructions can cause a decimal overflow exception. These are the result
of the packed or zoned decimal target and not a result of DFP operations.

These are the only DFP instructions that can cause a decimal overflow
exception.
As you had noted, decimal overflow can also occur with packed decimal
arithmetic.

The point I was trying to make is that abandoning the use of DFP would not
solve
the problem that you experienced.

--
Tom Marchant