From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: setrog lnklst question

UPDATE JOB(*) is dangerous.  And was discussed in the IBM MAIN Archives, a
couple of years ago I think.

However, we use it with no ill effect.

UPDATE
    Indicates that the system is to update an address space so that a specified
job or jobs associated with that space can use the current LNKLST set. If the
job is using another LNKLST set when the current LNKLST set is activated, it
will continue to use the original LNKLST set until it completes operations.
When the job completes and restarts, it then uses the data sets defined in the
new currently active LNKLST set. See "Removing or Compressing a Data Set in an
Active LNKLST Set" in z/OS MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference for
information about LLA management of the LNKLST data set.

    Be careful when you use UPDATE. Updating an address space while a program
in that address space is fetching a module can cause the fetch to fail or to
locate an incorrect copy of the module. The system does not attempt to verify
the validity of the data for UPDATE.
Start of changeJOBNAME | JOB=jobnameEnd of change
    Specifies the name of the job or jobs to update. You can use wildcard
characters (? or *) for jobname. UPDATE updates any job whose name matches the
specified criteria. The system compares jobname to the name of any initiated
job or jobs that match, or to the name of the address space.

Dangle your foot in the fire.  If it does not burn you are okay, If it does,
take it out

Lizette