On Thu, 25 May 2017 11:46:20 -0500, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> execmvs() would be better than LINKX or ATTACHX for this scenario, in
>> general, as it handles all the environmental cleanup and handles any
>> necessary authorization issues.
>>

>​I was looking at both execmvs() and attach_execmvs(). execmvs() says that
>it "replaces the previous process image". IIRC, that means that the child
>process no longer has access to the point-in-time-of-original-fork copy of
>the parent's key 8 storage. So, no passing "read only" type data in memory.
>Which is possibly a good thing. UNIX likes to pass data using something
>like environment variables or "shared memory" (which is what I'd likely use
>if the child needs to update the original program's memory).
>attach_execmvs() starts a new process __in the same address space__ and so
>has the "plus" of retaining all the parent's memory. That is, the new
>process which runs the requested child program will still have the copy of
>the original parent's​ (grandparent's) key 8 storage.

I don't know for sure, but I see issues with considering attach_execmvs() in
this scenario. You can't end up with two processes in the same address space
without dealing with authorization issues.

For example, how will attach_execmvs() deal with an APF-authorized parent
process trying to attach a non-authorized child process? I think that's a
guaranteed S306 abend (or some equivalent UNIX error code).

Therefor, I think the existing (parent) APF-authorized process would have to
give up APF authorization before it could safely use attach_execmvs() in this
scenario.

However, once it's done that, what happens if attach_execmvs() determines that
the new process needs to run APF-authorized? It could not do that in the same
address space as the (now) unauthorized parent. Therefore, another failure.

--
Walt