On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2017 14:24:05 -0500, John McKown <
> john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >​Well, from what I vaguely gather, this entire thread started off with the
> >question of "how does an APF authorized program run a non-APF authorized
> >program from a library not on the APF list?". Apparently the OP was trying
> >this and got a S306-C. Or maybe he just want something like the TSO TMP
> >does to "safely" (FSVO safely) invoke a program as a subroutine without
> APF
> >authorization.
> >
> >My solution for the above was to architect do a fork() to create a new
> >,non-APF authorized, address space. The child would be running the same
> >program at the same point in the 2nd address space (and with a different
> >PID). And if I'm reading the documentation correctly, the new address
> space
> >is _NOT_ running APF authorized. So the program, in the child, would set
> >things up to invoke the desired program. That background is why I was
> >thinking LINK instead of execmvs()​. Also LINK does not replace the
> process
> >image, so the copy of parent's key 8 storage is still accessible. If the
> >child needs to update the parent's memory, then said memory needs to be
> set
> >up as "shared" in both processes (address spaces).
>
> If an APF-authorized task does a fork() then the child should also end up
> running APF-authorized. It is basically an exact copy of the parent except
> for the DD allocations (and loss of other TCBs). The exec() or execmvs()
> that one expects the child to do next is what will take care of removing
> APF-authorization during the cleanup prior to running the program that
> replaces the previous process.

​Thanks. I may put in an RFC on the BPX1FRK documentation to ask that it
explicitly state that the APF status is maintained. Granted, in the Usage
Notes, there is the sentence: "​In other respects, for z/OS UNIX the child
is identical to the parent." But it also states: "
The child address space inherits the following address space attributes of
the parent address space:

   1. Region size
   2. Time limi
   ​t​
   ​

​"​
​I really wish the list above had included: "3. APF authorization state."​
I just think that would make the documentation clearer. At least to me. Oh,
well, I really need to "play around" with this and maybe do some actual
testing.

--
Windows. A funny name for a operating system that doesn't let you see
anything.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown