The COBOL V5.2 Migration Guide (GC14-7383-03) says:

"Enterprise COBOL V5 programs can dynamically call (and be dynamically called
by) VS COBOL II RES programs."

If I have an existing assembler program which calls a VS COBOL II RES program
after calling the older COBOL environment setup program IGZERRE, how can I now
call the existing VS COBOL II RES program using the CEEPIPI technique mandated
for COBOL V5.2 subroutines?

In other words, if COBOL V5.2 can call a VS COBOL II RES program, how do I now
do this myself from assembler when I may also be calling COBOL V5.2 subroutines
which require the use of CEEPIPI to make a call?

The problem is that the CEEPIPI (add_sub) function call returns error RC=20
(not an LE program) for VS COBOL II RES programs I have tested so far, so I do
not see any way to use CEEPIPI to call such routines.

Currently in my assembler code I found that I can identify VS COBOL II RES
programs (after a LOAD) by the compiler ID string "C2 1.3.1" at zero-relative
offset decimal 14 (1-relative byte position 15) in the generated object code.
The compiler listing header for such programs is:

PP 5668-958 IBM VS COBOL II Release 3.1 09/19/89

Is this COBOL version too old to be LE-compatible, even when programs were
compiled with the RESident option?

Peter

attachments from your system.