On 7 June 2017 at 14:00, IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
<imugz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you invoke a systemrexx from an (assembler) program, you define the
> variables, values and format. Your program can get a result fron the rexx
> exec. These are the output variables defined in your assembler.

Yup - output *variables*. But I am puzzled by the notion of "output
arguments". The Rexx language has no such notion. I realize I can mark
arguments (as well as variables) as "output" on the AXREXX call, but
that doesn't explain to me how they are mapped. The doc says "For the
REXXARGS parameter, the entries mapped by AXRARGENTRY must appear in
the same order as the arguments specified on the ARG statement in the
REXX program", which makes sense on input. But I see no way for this
to work on output - there is nothing to say I have to use Parse Arg
(or short form Arg) at all, in fact I often use the Arg() function
instead. Also Parse Arg can be issued more than once. So where does
the interface get these output values, since it cannot always know
what variables (if any) those values went into.

If it is just saying that you can retrieve the value of some named
variables upon output, then what is the difference between that and an
output variable?

> Have a look at the axrexx macro. There is a sample rexx and assembler pgm
> that demonstrates that

Yes, I am running AXREXX and experimenting. But I would rather have
these things documented than have to tease everything out by
experiment.

Thanks... Tony H.