On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:58:24 +0000, Robert Prins wrote:

>On 2017-06-12 14:29, John Gateley wrote:
>>   r_c = SORTSTEM(my_stem_name,'A')
>> It will be on File#953 of the CBT Tape soon, but it anyone wants a preview
>> then the code is in IEBUPDTE format here
>> http://www.spurtle.biz/STEMASM.txt
>> and supporting macros here
>> http://www.spurtle.biz/STEMMAC.txt

... where I see a lot of assembler code and little Rexx.

>Will your code handle non-numerical "indices"?

The key definition, not merely 'A', ought to be an argument to SORTSTEM.

But I fell into this discussion using SORT as an example, and replies took
that as the goal.  What I mean to ask is, how can I invoke an arbitrary
utility or load module (not just SORT) associating all its files with Rexx
stems, not just data sets.  SORT allows this because of the I/O exits; many
utilities (other than HLASM) have no similar facility.

BPXWUNIX supports this, but only for for UNIX utilities and three customary
files.

-- gil