On 2017-06-12, at 14:20, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

> I have a number of applications that sort a REXX array. My solution is to
> load it into an ISPF table. Not only is a table easily sorted, but you can do
> an instant search with single ISPF command. And so much more.

Rexx compound symbols do search, but only for match, not lower/upper bound.

> Yes, you need to run in a TSO environment, but I've never found much use for
> a REXX that does not otherwise need some TSO service anyway.

Which?  What I've missed, beyond ISPF itself, are TRANSMIT and RECEIVE.
And TSO provides shortcuts to many IDCAMS functions.

But I have a Rexx that extracts all the spool files for a job.
Runs fine under OMVS, TSO, or IRXJCL.

And it's irritating that a job can't extract its own ID without
either an ISPF function or chasing control blocks.

Google tells me CBTTAPE 290, with high praise for the author.

-- gil