Arye Shemer wrote:
>I'll try answer your questions as best I can.
>1. I am talking about  z/VM z/VSE customer who is using currently CPACF to
>encrypt data going to the disk and (I am not sure)
>some software using CPACF for SSL.

>2. Customer predict workload increase and expect to get more performance
>using the Crypto Express especially in the growing SSL
>    demand

For SSL, yes; for basic encryption, no. It will almost certainly be slower. If
the blocks are big enough it's possible it might be faster, but I wouldn't bet
on it (well, I guess it depends how bad their software encryption
implementation is).

>3. Customer is currently using CPACF with key length of 128  bits for clear
>key encryption and (by internal demand) expect to move to 256 bits with the
>Crypto Express

Again, if this is for basic AES/DES and the existing implementation isn't too
horrible, don't bet on better performance.

>4. As far as I know there are no immediate requirements for high secured
> key protection (which provided of course
>    by the Crypto Express)

>5. The Crypto Express is offered to the customer for marketing reasons (Can
>not  elaborate and have to leave it vague)

Um. OK. Not sure what that means, but I guess that's the point!
--

...phsiii

Phil Smith III
Senior Architect & Product Manager, Mainframe & Enterprise
Distinguished Technologist
HPE Data Security

phs...@hpe.com<mailto:phs...@hpe.com>
T 703-476-4511